Directivo, TivoNET, and ExtractStream

son_of_mogh_worf@h... son_of_mogh_worf at h...
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:40:11 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., sharkey@a... wrote:
> Somehow I doubt that DirecTV's encodings are really that much better
than
> the SA Tivo's best quality recording. And if they are better, the
> difference is too small to be significant. I almost never use best
quality
> becuase I don't feel that I need better than medium for most things.
Yes,
> I can tell the difference, but I don't really care.

Well, at least DirecTV's encodings are more bit-efficient, thus their
bitrate is lower. I mean, at the Best encoding rate, the bitrate is
higher than that of a DVD! Yet the picture with the cleanest of inputs
does not look like a DVD, and I'm sure DirecTV's streams don't look
like a DVD... thus, lies the truth of encoders -- quality for a given
bitrate. Even using VBR, I doubt the SA TiVo encoder would generate
pictures equivalent to the quality of a DVD (assuming perfect
digitization, etc), given DVD bitrate. Heck, DVD's aren't all that
perfect either... (Again, it's the cost issue. A remastered DVD might
get the "premium" treatment and go through a costlier encoder to
achieve the better quality, while a crappy movie goes through a
TiVo-ish type encoder). That's the nice thing of MPEG encoding. The
final output is dependent on the quality of the encoder. You want
cheap output, you use a crappy encoder. You want
excellent-digital-theatre-quality-output, you pay the $$$ for a higher
quality encoder.

> DirecTV pays a lot more for their encoders because they can handle
multiple
> streams. How many channels do they provide? They have to encode
all
> of them simultaneously. That's something that just can't be done on
> $200 box at any quality. (And licensing the required patents from
> the MPEG LA scales with the number of channels which can be
provided, so
> the cost goes up there, too.) $10K+ sounds pretty cheap to me.

Maybe it's $1000/channel. Havne't priced broadcast-quality equipment
lately. Plus, not all feeds are analog -- some of the more premium
channels do digital encoding themselves rather than leaving it in the
hands of a 3rd party who has to encode it...

Anyhow, a $200 box, times lets say, 200 channels, is only $40,000 or
so. So there's a reason... (lets see, 200 channels, or 40 channels,
you decide...). Of course, there is the added aspect that well,
DirecTV has to fight for bandwidth - the bandwidth is limited to each
dish, and you gotta fit all the programming into that bandwidth -- VBR
helps, as does bit-allocation schemes and whatnot, but I'm sure the
equivalent output has a much lower bitrate for the same quality (case
in point... a 60 hour DirecTiVo has how much disk space? 45GB? at
"best" quality... heck, that out-beats "basic" quality on bitrate...)