My dangerous idea.

steve_bryan@m... steve_bryan at m...
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:38:22 -0000

Here is a related idea that I suspect might be feasible sooner. Apple
maintains an open source project for its QuickTime Streaming Server
which runs on many platforms including NT, linux, OSX (to be explicit
this is free as in open source and free as in beer). These will be
capable of streaming MPEG2 content to the QuickTime Player app that
is available for the various flavors of Windows, Mac OS classic, and
Mac OSX. So you set up a gnutella network of TiVo boxes. When you
return a match then you include metadata that indicates the RTSP
protocol url that causes the program to be streamed. With enough
bandwidth and a large enough group of friends (say your closest
100,000 or so friends) you would be completely free of the tyranny of
schedule for recently broadcasted content.

As far as what is legal and what is illegal please note that the
copyright industry has had carte blanche for essentially the entire
20th century to write the law as they saw fit no matter how
convoluted or illogical it became. Now that the digital revolution
has given all of us a stake in how such laws are crafted we might
hope that something corresponding to what people expect the law to be
already (logical, coherent, fair) will become the law. Take a look at
Jessica Litman's "Digital Copyright."