[ExtractStream] Re: My dangerous idea.

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:53:51 -0400

> how does this all work when you're JUST talking about
> regular broadcast? I don't have cable or dish,
> and just get my free TV delivered to my TIVO.
> Is that stuff also copyrighted?

In general, yes.

> Will Mr. Rogers
> sue me for making copies of his show that he gave
> to me for free over the airwaves? (j/k)

If Mr. Rogers is the copyright holder for his works, it would be within
his rights to do so. Whether he will or not is up to him.

The other condition of U.S. Title 17, paragraph 110, part 5, allowing the
communication of broadcasts other than "a direct charge is made to see
or hear the transmission" is "the transmission thus received is further
transmitted to the public".

In other words, you can show your friends your Mr. Rogers recordings for
free, but you can't set up a server to stream them to anyone who wants them.

Eric