[ExtractStream] Re: My dangerous idea.

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:45:36 -0400

> There have been reported cases of networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.) suing
> internet companies in Canada for broadcasting the "free airwave" of their
> network tv station over the internet so other people in northern canada (too
> far from the US border) could also watch american programming (I guess that
> the networks may not broadcast the same shows in countries outside of the US
> or local programming must have been better in the US or the people living up
> north just couldnt get good reception....). I dont really know the outcome
> or implications, but i though this might be interesting.

You're speaking about www.icravetv.com. They shut down after the threat
of lawsuits became too real and it didn't look they had a leg to stand on.

And you've got it backwards, anyway. It wasn't that the networks were
complaining that people in northern canada could watch the signals, but
that the internet feeds could be sent back from Canada to the U.S, where
the cable/broadcast stations were supposed to have exclusive rights.

There's a new company called jumptv.com which is attempting to identify
Canadadian IP addresses and stream live TV to only them, with out letting
the streams get back to the pesky U.S. of A..

Eric