New ExtractStream based program (sendstream)

keary@m... keary at m...
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:14:20 -0000

I finally loaded up Linux and got my cross-compiler running, so I've
created a couple of tools.

First I modified ExtractStream to do a more accurate job (I think...
I'm sure everyone will let me know) of extracting streams from the
tivo.

It's called sendstream and you can get it at:

http://hackaway.topcities.com/files/sendstream.tgz

Bascially the usage is:

sendstream -s <fsid> <fsid> <...> > stream.out

I stripped away most of the non-stream extracting code from
ExtractStream, so sendstream only supports sending the stream to
stdout. (AUDIO_OUT, VIDEO_OUT are no longer used).

I believe ExtractStream had two problems. The first was that in the
extraction loop it was using (index <= count) when I think it should
have been (index < count).

The second problem, is that Tivo streams seem to have two sizes.
The first is the allocated size, the second is the used size.
ExtractStream was using the allocated size. Sendstream uses the
used sized which is usally one chunk smaller. (But I have seen it
many chunks smaller)

Please let me know how it works!

Also, I put up another x86 linux application, tyc. This is just a
quick hack.

http://hackaway.topcities.com/files/tyc.tgz

This is hacked version of tyConvert. (I'm sorry for what I've done
to such a nice program.)

I converted it to linux, and made it stdin, and stdout based instead
of a Win GUI. Its usage is tyc -s < steam.out > movie.mpg. It
creates the single file version .mpg. All of the other
functionality of tyConvert is gone.

Good luck