New discovery re: conversion problems....

willieb9000@y... willieb9000 at y...
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:52:01 -0000

I am about to start looking at the streams to see if I can figure
out the codes, but I think I may have found something that no one has
commented on before (of course that doesn't mean no one knew it).

I have been using tivoapp to extract and tyconvert to convert
streams lately and I have been noticing that I have problems with
basically only NBC shows.
I have tracked it down and it is the NBC commercials for programs.
If you have ever watched a recorded nbc show and not skipped the
commercials, you'll notice when an commercial for an NBC show comes
on, Tivo puts a little bubble on the screen that says "Press thumbs
up to record." Well, this has to be coded into the stream to tell it
when to put this up on the screen. Every time any conversion program
meets one of these NBC commercials, it goes crazy and dies. My guess
is that that is where split stream was dying a lot too.
I am going to look at the streams and try to figure out where in
the code the "Place the logo on the screen" code is and maybe we can
tell these conversion programs to ignore it and keep going.
Anyway that is all I have found so far. Let me know if you are
interested and I'll keep everyone posted.

Willie