MFSTools restore/ExtractStream fixed!

Ken Hancock hancockks at y...
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:03:41 -0000

Finally figured out what the problem is & patched my copy of ES3. Thanks to
Gary Williams for pointing out the "od" linux command which allowed me to
dump the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda10.

The problem (for me) was MFS Tools restore was putting something ? in
/dev/hda12 which wasn't MFS media which was throwing out the sector
count. On my MFS Tools restored disk, my media regions are /dev/hda10,
/dev/hda11, /dev/hdb2, and /deb/hdb3.

I'd like to propose to Dale & Keary (and anyone else maintaining a version of
ExtractStream) is to modify it in one of the following ways:

1. Modify ExtractStream to grab the list of MFS media regions from the block
header in /dev/hda10 (best and automatically works for all configs). (I'm not
a unix hacker, so I don't know exactly how to read X bytes from the first
sector of /dev/hda10, but I'll be happy to assist...)

or

2. Change the "devs" array in ExtractStream.c to be a static structure which
can be modified by inserting multiple "-d /dev/hdX" into the command-line
arguments. This would allow anyone to provide a list of devices to read
in-order.

Dale and/or Keary -- does this sound reasonable to you? Would you be
willing to do the fixes?

Ken