ExtractStream Issue HELP!

Ken Hancock hancockks at y...
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:01:09 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., Joe Fleck <tornado@m...> wrote:
>The only other thing that's changed (other than me
> getting TivoNet working after the 2.51 upgrade) was that I added a
second
> drive (80GB) to the unit around that timeframe. Could this be a
culprit? Say
> it aint so! Any ideas _at all_ for me to investigate would be
greatly
> appreciated.

Drive addition is certainly a possibility, depending on how you added
it. As the sectors on your disk get used and ExtractStream seeks to
the next sector, if it crosses a partition boundry and the partitions
aren't correct, you'll get hosed -- that's what happened to me with
MFS Tools restore.

I'm doing this from memory, but if you do:

bash-2.03$ od -a -N 512 /dev/hda10

You should see the ascii output of the first 512 bytes of
your /dev/hda10 partition. If you look in the ascii, you'll see a
list of linked partitions in the order that they're used.

Now if you fire up ExtractStream to do an extraction, you'll see a
list of partitions it's using with the number of sectors on each
partition. If the parition order doesn't match what "od" gave you
above, or if there's another parition in the ExtractStream list which
isn't in the "od" list, then you'll get garbage.

If that's your case, the only current solution is to hand-patch
ExtractStream.