Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

charlie@a... charlie at a...
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:43:21 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Ken Hancock" <hancockks@y...> wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., Dale Reed <daler@n...> wrote:
> > Well, there is a common assumption that the audio and video
streams
> > after being split are exact. When in reality, I don't think they
are.

> Why is this? Both are recorded in CBR. Assuming for every chunk
you read in
> from the TiVo you output both audio and video, you should end up
with the
> same amount of each.

The TyStream format has synchronization marks that lock the audio and
video streams together, so if there were any small errors you'd never
notice them on TiVO itself, only after you try to throw all the
timing data away and turn it into a format that contains no timing
information (MPEG elementary streams) and then try to make it
synchronize.

This is definitely the cause of shows that *start out*
desynchronized. TiVo doesn't care whether or not it starts the
streams at the exact same time, because it doesn't have to care.

There's another cause of de-synchronization mid way through the show
that I've discovered. Extract stream has a nasty habit of getting
chunks in the wrong place - I mean really wrong, like a half hour out
of place. These mis-placed chunks get thrown away at conversion time
and you pretty much never miss them, except that the chunk didn't
hold an equal amount of audio and video. Get it?