[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Dale Reed daler at n...
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:45:59 -0700

Chris Kloiber wrote:

> Well, a /usr/local that would (theoretically) survive upgrades so I can
> just get my bash prompt back, edit /etc/fstab and reboot to get all my
> goodies back would be really nice. With the current state of my tivo,
> hacks are spread out everywhere, and I'm not even sure what hacks are
> installed where. I want to organize things a bit. Even considering
> restoring the virgin image to clean things up and start over. I've got my
> 80 gig Maxtor in there, so adding a 1gig partiton in there would not
> seriously impact my viewing time.

I have my /var/tivo backed up to my linux box. Only other one is the
custom mods to rc.sysinit, which I also have backed up. It would be a
quick untar back to /var/tivo if they wiped things out. Of course, getting
to the upgraded box might be entertaining. :) Maybe they'll leave the
ethernet check in for us this time. :(

> > See the extractstream documentation on how to get the fsids and extract.
> > Its actually documented pretty decently.
>
> What I saw on that wanted me to get a "netcat" program, but the link was
> incorrect, and I never did find it. I want to use nfs instead, but I guess
> I don't have the right version of anything. My system is 2.0.1, but the
> ExtractStream is .2. So it seems I need to find a newer version.

I prefer netcat for speed, but nfs works as well. You can get it from:

http://www.atstake.com/research/tools/nc11nt.zip

> I'm also considering trying to set up the cross compiler (on my linux
> box), although I'm not really a coder. If I do I may have to do that in
> VMWare, as I'm not downgrading my Red Hat to 6.2 which seems to be what is
> required. (Currently running something similar to Roswell+Rawhide)

I have it on a RH7.0 box. Works fine. There really isn't anything
specific to a version or distribution of linux, AFAIK. It comes
with all the cross-platform libraries and such you need to compile
with.

Dale