SplitStream 0.3 and other utils

joe666boxer@y... joe666boxer at y...
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 04:20:27 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., kamka@7... wrote:

> Well when splitstream finds 1 bad chuck it never recovers.

That's not true. see for example message #503. There are several
chunks that are skipped and the stream recovered just fine.

There are, however, some cases from which splitstream cannot recover.
If there is a chunk missing, for example, there is no way to
reconstruct the complete stream.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a stream like that from my TiVo. Older
versions of extractstream and httpd.tcl may be to blame.

If splitstream can't recover, then there is something very wrong. You
yourself mentioned your stream had a clip from a deleted show.

> So you have
> rerun splitstream on the bad chunks so
> that it will process the remaining VIDEO/AUDIO chucks.

Be prepared to get all sorts of crazy stuff if you do this.
Audio/video sync problems are just the tip of the iceberg. A few
missing video frames, some audio from another show, etc...

FYI, I've used splitstream on over 10 hours of video without seeing
corrupted streams.

Joe