[ExtractStream] Re: SplitStream 0.3 and other utils

Dale Reed daler at n...
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:06:22 -0700

cerevant@y... wrote:

> --- In ExtractStream@y..., "Badness" <badness@t...> wrote:
> > Hmmmm. I am using the Extractstream from Joe's web page and
> splitstream still doesn't recover for me.
>
> There are still issues with one or the other - Joe has fixed a couple
> of the cases that caused the failures, but I'm still feeding him
> failure cases. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the problem
> may be with Extract Stream (reading the chunks off the disk in the
> right order) instead of splitstream (parsing the chunks).

I found that out a while ago. Remember I posted that my original
work with ConvertStream failed miserably with the CVS extractstream.
Until gary sent me a modifies one, I couldn't get consistency.
Gary's extractstream for 2.0.1 is in the tympeg zip on my website.

What might be of use would be a utility that read the streams on
the tivo itself. It would have some of the SS "logic" code in it.
Then it would tell where the bad chunks start and what logic it
used for reading the last chunk and the next. I bet comparing
the last chunk and next will show that its accross partitions
or something where the calculations are close, but not exact.
Without investigating on the tivo side, you're just guessing at
raw data and can't determine the real problem that easily.

I'm willing to compile some "investigation" code for the tivo,
as I have a cross compiler setup and am very familiar with
compiling code for it. :)

Dale