[ExtractStream] Re: need help with extractstream again and my previews post

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 07:17:47 -0800 (PST)

--- artships0 <douglass@n...> wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., "kriscomach" <biskupiec@h...> wrote:
> > Hello.
> > How do I use ftpd
>
> Actually, it's "tivoftpd". Assuming it's in your PATH, whick it
> should be in the standard kazymyr CD install, execute at the
> command
> prompt on your tivo (the ampersand IS significant):
>
> tivoftpd&
>
> Or, if that doesn't work:
>
> /tivo-bin/tivoftpd&
>
> I then execute ftp from a dos prompt. The only weird thing is that
>
> once you've established an ftp connection, you have to execute
> "bin"
> to tell it to send files in "binary" format, else it will complain.
>
> Such is my experience, anyway.
>
> > and am I suppost to send my files to the
> > directory /tivo-bin rather then /hack/bin.
>
> On your tivo execute:
>
> echo $PATH
>
> Send your file to any directory in that path, if you can, though
> you'll certainly be able ot send it to /hack/bin

Very useful info... but there is an "if":

If the root filesystem is set to read-write access. The only
directory that's normally writeable on a Tivo is /var - everything
else is read-only. If you've been able to get one of the httpd
daemons running, there's an option there to set the root directory
writeable. Otherwise, from a telnet session, type this command:

mount -o remount,rw /

That will set the root directory writeable. Change the 'rw' to 'ro'
to change the / directory back to read-only, which I recommend you
doing when you're done making your changes, as the Tivo isn't
"accustomed" to running the root FS writeable. A powerdown at the
wrong time with the root FS writeable could cause some filesystem
corruption.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger