I have a 100% working split program for both SA and DTivo...

jewser joshua at b...
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:17:28 -0000

Hello Everyone. I recently became aware of the work being done by
others here in an attempt to get properly sync'ed ES streams out of a
TyStream. I have already solved most of the problems that people are
complaining about. So I thought I would post a message here.

I have been working for the last several months on the problem of
splitting a TyStream and maintaining proper sync. I have been getting
help, clips, etc... from the DTivo people on dealdatabase but since I
have a stand alone Tivo I wanted things to work there. With minial
effort I managed to get the same program, via a command line switch,
to split both types of files with equal success. Which at present is
rought 99.9% of all streams run through come out as .m2v and .m2a
Elementary Streams (ES) that maintain perfect sync all the way
through.

I have tested, or had tested by others, roughly 200 TyStreams ranging
from 30 minute shows to 3 hour movies.

However, as I said above I have been working towards getting the
DTivo working so that I could get one and not have to transcode... So
over half of the 200 are from the DTivo.

What I need right now are some people with SATivo's interested in
doing some late alpha early beta testing for me. I need a lot more
TyStreams run through it before I will consider it done even with the
success I have seen. Thanks to the nature of this beast it seems
there is always something cropping up out of the blue.

At present the initial audio/video sync offset averages 6ms and is
never worse than 16ms. Which is close enough to maintain lip-sync all
the way through when mux'ing with tools that don't allow for a
correction.

Oh and at present source code is not available. Not here, not on
dealdatabase, not from me directly. It will be when things get to the
piont where I consider it finished. (If you want to see the full list
of reasons head on over to DD...) Basically the problem right now is
that things keep changing rather radically and I don't want to fight
the problem of someone making a change and I get bug reports on
something I didn't do.

So if anyone is interested please let me know... Just so you know my
plans..

1- I hope to push the first production release of VSplit, Same name
but nowhere near the same program as from Tridge..., out the door in
the next week or so.

2- I have Dolby Digital processing almost ready to go. Probably a
week after #1.

3- I have mux'ing most of the way done. I just shelved it until I
could get SA mode working 100%. Then I can more easily get is working
for everything.

--jdiner