Hooray! I got it goin but....

dolphins44td dolphins44td at y...
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:13:29 -0000

Thanks for the help and encouragement

I will be reading over your web page tonight...I think that seems
easiest because it is all spelled out for a newbie like me...

I am not married to tivoapp...it just seems easy to use for
a 'beginner'.

I understand that the extraction stuff is in the beginning stages so
I am patient to learn...

Ill keep crankin

any other tips would be great!

Great Job Merch!

--- In ExtractStream@y..., Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:
> --- dolphins44td <dolphins44td@y...> wrote:
> [snip]
> > /dev/hda11 has 0x01ea8c00 sectors
> > /dev/hda12 has 0x00100000 sectors
> > /dev/hda13 has 0x02901400 sectors
> > /dev/hdb2 has 0x00002000 sectors
> > /dev/hdb3 has 0x04a8c500 sectors
>
> ExtractStream is known to have 'heartburn' with multi-drive Tivo's,
> try sendstream, mfs_extract or mfs_stream -- if you need to use
those
> with TivoApp, all you need to do is install these applications onto
> the tivo, then rename your original ExtractStream binary to
something
> else (like, zzz.ExtractStream) then rename or copy the newer binary
> to ExtractStream and make sure it's in TivoApp's path...
>
> ... I'm not sure if you've notice this yet - but Tivo stream
> extraction is nowhere near an exact science. We're working on it,
but
> deciphering proprietary information is tedious & time-consuming.
> There's no "do this and everything works perfect" process... yet...
> and some Linux/Unix knowledge goes a *long* way in this hobby, as
the
> Tivo does run a "fairly standard" Linux package. If you don't know
> anything about running Linux, you *will* want to start reading. If
> anyone on this forum claimed they didn't do a lot of reading, and a
> lot more tinkering to get this working, I'm sure they'd have the
deed
> for the Brooklyn Bridge right alongside 4000 acres of farmland in
> Florida... ;-)
>
> And my page is not the be-all-and-end-all of Tivo Extraction
> webpages... there's a lot more pages you'll want to see, a _few_ of
> which are on my webpage; but a lot more are out on dealdatabase's
> forum, and quite a few on pvrhack.sonnik.com and 9thtee.com.
>
> Above all, be patient & don't get frustrated. It's not going to be
> easy - but if you're willing to put time into this hobby,
[[remember,
> this *is* a hobby...]] it can be very fruitful, and very enjoyable.
> Don't give up, but no-one here can wave a magic wand & make your
> problems disappear; it will take a lot of trial and error on your
> part to get everything working for you, as every system is a little
> different. And remember, it's a hobby for all of us. You probably
> won't see an immediate response, you might not even see a response
> for a few days. Everyone here has life to consider - Personally, I'm
> putting the finishing touches on moving my family into a new home,
> next weekend I'm off to Salt Lake City, Utah (from Northern
Michigan)