[Extractstream [mailman]] Re: [Extractstream] Yahoo listings...

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:25:37 -0700

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 11:13:22PM -0400, TivoMerch wrote:
> >If a few  of you can send me  whatever mbox archive you have  of the list
> >(gzipped mime  attachement if  at all possible),  I'll put  that together
> >with the archives I have (very incomplete), and I'll re-run yahoo2mbox so
> >that it puts in the real names and Email addresses for all the people who
> >posted in the archives that you sent me (and I have)
>
> Is eudora close enough to mbox format? If so, I'll forward everything
> pertaining to my new tivo@... account, and send it off to you in a day or
> so...

I never received yours nor anyone else's :-)

But  more  to the  point:  how  do  you suggest  we  move  the bulk  of  the
discussions to this  list, to the point where the  remaining folks will move
by themselves if they want to be where discussions are happening?

I don't  want to  do a hostile  takeover of the  yahoogroups list,  but that
said, the original list owner never  answered my Email (another Cc here), so
we're going to have to take matters into our own hands...

What do I suggest?
1) once I get a few mbox archives from you, I can invite most of the posters
   to the new list (the mailman invite function, they don't have to accept)
   Please contact me  if you have archives in different  formats, I can work
   out a way to get them from you and convert them.
2) We should lobby the top posters/contributors to:
   a) post announcements on the new list only with one or two warnings on
      the old one that the announcements are on the new list
   b) if they post on the old list, paste a reminder, that they won't be
      reading/answering on the old list much longer

What do you think?

Marc

PS: I  changed the  subject header  tag  so that  you can  easily see  which
extractstream list you are receiving mail from :-)