[Extractstream [MM]] Re: Using LSX to encode DVD

John Douglass douglass at artships.com
Mon Dec 30 06:26:49 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:47:55 -0800, you wrote:

>I've been using TMPGEnc to encode my extracted videos from my Tivo to =
DVD, so I can burn some shows off the machine.  I've been using JDouglass's technique to do so DVD2AVI->VFAPI->VirtualDub->TMPGEnc->DVD.

Actually, my technique is more like DVD2AVI->TMPGEnc->DVD.

>Anyways, since I am encoding what amounts to be about 3 hours of video =
per show, its taking me about 16 hours per video to encode.

Count your blessings.  It takes me 10-times the show length to encode.
So a 1 hour show, actually only 45 minutes sans adverts, takes me
almost 450 minutes to transcode.

>  I've been trying to experiment with LSX to encode, since it encodes =
much faster, but I have been unable to encode it well enough to see if LSX gives me the quality I desire.

>My encoding settings in TMPGEnc are as follows:
>720x480 29.97 fps NTSC
>5800 kbps CBR video
>4:3 display
I assume you mean "4.3 525 line (NSTC)"
>48KHz, 224 kbps audio
>10 bits DC component
>Highest quality Motion search
>Top Field First (field A)
>
>Anyways, trying to set some settings in LSX result in the following:
>- black bars on both sides of the resultant video - it doesn't seem to =
encode at 720x480

Bummer!

>- I get very jumpy video when viewed on a TV (I used to get the same =
thing with TMPGEnc until I used jdouglass's suggestion and used the Top Field First setting in TMPGEnc

Ah, then you have a Stand-alone tivo, as Dtivo's take "Bottom field
first".  As for why LSX would muck it up... Just in case LSX is
backwards, did you try LSX's other setting?

I googled "lsx encode" and got theis page right off the bat.  Seems
like some of your issues are addressable.

http://www.geocities.com/eaussie01au/LSX.html

Good luck!

John
--