[ExtractStream] Status on Splitstream compiling with cygwin...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 05:52:07 -0800 (PST)

--- Mark Jeffcoat <jeffcoat@a...> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:37:09PM -0800, Roger Merchberger wrote:

[snippage]

> > Size of SS compiled with cygwin gcc : 29,335 bytes
> > [same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 11,776 bytes
> >
> > Size of SS compiled with djgpp & -O2 switch: 27,116 bytes
> > [same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 9,728 bytes
>
> I'm assuming you meant that last block to read "cygwin gcc"
> instead of "djgpp", else it doesn't make any sense. djgpp
> was originally written for DOS, and has to do backflips
> to deal with its memory model ("640k ought to be enough for
> anyone"); my guess is that lots of the extra space is overhead
> from that.

Yea - Cut & Paste error on part of the operator [me] - elsewhere in
your post you mentioned "insomnia"... I wrote that around 1 a.m.
after a hard day of lifting & climbing stairs (moving)... I hate
moving in February. :-/

> > Splitting the chunk with the cygwin-compiled SS with the -O2
> > optimization switch: Seemed to work fine, but there was an extra
> bit
> > of output, which I don't think affected the streams but might
> worry a
> > beginner. Here's what the output looked like:
>
> Maybe. They should be the same, but sometimes turning on
> optimization tickles small bugs that a more laid-back
> compiler doesn't notice.

Judging from that weird output, that's kinda what I figgered, too.

[[ excellent cross-compile setup stuff snipped ]]

Cool! That ought to give me enough to step up to the plate - if I get
it working, I'll put up a page about it & link it to the tivo page...
I'll download the stuff today (I *love* owning an ISP... "Big
Pipes!"), and if I'm still physically functional tonite I'll have a
go with it.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger