DVD writing

billyb111b billyb111b at y...
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:00:17 -0000

Hi Dave,

I have done some DVD writing from my extracted videos, so it IS
possible, so far its a difficult process with mixed results.

I have a Pioneer A03 burner, which is a great and burns DVD-R and -
RW, -RW works fine, but none of my 5 DVD players play the stuff, so
its not that practical. I recently found a great deal on cheap DVD-
R ($1.50 a piece) so I have been experimenting more often.

The problem with DVD in general is authoring software is very picky
about being within the spec (unlike VCD/SVCD), which means video res
of 352 or 704/720 and audio at 48 khz. Tivo records all audio and
32 khz, so all tivo audio needs to be upconverted. Video (by
default) is 544(x480) at Best 480 at high and 352 at med and basic.
So anything at a quality bitrate needs to be trancoded to the proper
res. (You can change the default bitrates and resolution in the
TivoWeb resource editor, allowing for high bitrate and 352x480,
reducing the need for transcoding).

It works sometimes and doesn't others. On my TiVo, extracted streams
are very picky as to audio sync and clean mpeg data, but YMMV.

I can give more detail into my DVD process if you'd like, (Ive been
meaning to write up a little doc on it, but havnt had the time)

bill

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "David Ondzes" <dao@p...> wrote:
> Has anyone here attempted to make a DVD with the extracted video
from Tivo using a DVD-RW ? I am thinking of buying a