DVD writing

billyb111b billyb111b at y...
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:54:02 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "J. Scott Dorr" <merlin@f...> wrote:
> What resolution/bit-rate should I set to allow for the most
seamless dvd
> authoring? I'm not familiar with what the dvd resolutions are in
the U.S..
> Did I read that right that the resolution is 704x720? Please
clarify so that
> I can start recording my shows in dvd resolution and save me a
bunch of
> processor cycles in the future. :)

I have Best at 352X480 and 5500kbs, It seems prety good in terms of
quality, but due to synch issues, I usually have to re-encode
anyway. (Does anyone know a good cheap multiplex program where you
can set an audio delay?)

I believe the NTSC DVD resolutions for Mpeg 2 are 352x480, 704x480
and 720x480, and TiVO only encodes at the 352. Which is fine with
me, so long as the bitrate is reasonable. I am looking for a quick
way (without re-encoding) to archive TiVo streams to DVD, because
everytime I re-encode, (through Vdub, Nandub, VFAPI, CC you name it!)
I end up in frame-serving codec hell, and it takes hours and I am
never thrilled with the results (there are so many settings that can
screw you up - pulldown, IVTC, field order, deinterlace!!) and lets
face it, the video is already MPEG2, if its good enough for TiVo, its
good enough for me.

One thing I have learned about getting clean extrtactions is NOT to
change resolution and quality levels. Pick one and stick with it!.
If you have variuous quality level recording around the drive, ES
will never pinpoint the actual sector locations, and you will get
tiny bits and pieces of all kinds of recordings in your streams.
This will then cause timecode jumps, synch problems and general
headaches during conversion/encoding/muxing. You should probly do
everything at best, so that recording on the fly doesn't screw you
up. I did not do this, and it haunts me still! I want to go back to
my backup and start over, but I have so much stuff awaiting
extraction.

sigh

and one more thing, nver set TiVo resolution resource above 4, and
absolutely never set Best Quality above 4. I believe 1 & 2 and
352X480, 3 is 480x480 (SVCD) and 4 is 544x480. 5 or higher makes
TiVo go poof.

> One vote from me. :)
> - scott

When I settle on a working method, (I have a few, they all SHOULD
work, but they never work 100%) Ill try to assemble something like a
how-to.