tivonet, is it worth it?

ThePith1@a... ThePith1 at a...
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:21:25 EST

Hi,
My DIRECTV tivo unit should arrive next week and I am trying to decide if
this whole tivonet (or turbo net) is worth it.
My reason for wanting tivonet in the first place is video extraction to
video CD archive. I am very familiar with video CD and conversion so that
isn't an issue.
I have a fast PC running windows XP with lots of harddrive space, and I
consider myself pretty confident with poking around the inside of my
computer.
I do not know LINUX and hear that video extraction isn't very reliable.
i.e.- most video extraction end up with artifacts, or messed up audio and
only after trying to sandwich two extracted streams from your tivo unit.
I am looking for something that might be a little complicated at first but
once it is established I could just simply call up my tivo unit and pull some
videos. Is this realistic or not?
And if it is, where do I find the most current, clear, and concise
information on how-to?
Thank you,
-Lary