Bugs in TMPGenc & Elecard...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:27:53 -0800 (PST)

It seems I've found a bug in TMPGenc...

I was trying to encode the latest Charmed for me wifey, and I set up
TMPGenc to encode the show 2-pass VBR with the settings:

Average bitrate: 2355 Kbit
Maximum Bitrate: 2474 Kbit
Minimum Bitrate: 300 Kbit

and I tell TMPGenc to record all logs on the processes - most folks
would think it's boring, but I *am* a packrat, remember??? ;-)

Anywho, I wrote a small perl program to snag the Min & Max bitrates
that TMPGenc encoded with, and this is my command-line & it's output
for TMPGenc Version 2.52:::::::

C:\!Tivo>cat Charmed_CharmedAndDangerous?*.log|grep "^Current"|gawk
"{print $4}"|perl calc.pl

Max: 4336.84
Min: 663.23

::::::And here's the output for TMPGenc 2.51:::::::

C:\!Tivo>cat Charmed_CharmedAndDangerous?*.log|grep "^Current"|gawk
"{print $4}"|perl calc.pl

Max: 4436.42
Min: 663.18

::::::

No wonder they wouldn't fit on the CD... Anywho, I guess I'll try
encoding CBR this time just to get the job done; and keep an eye on
this in the future. :-/

BTW, for those who remember, I run Win2K for my encoding... so y'all
might be asking: grep? gawk? What the... ;-)

As I've said before: Cygwin is your *friend*... ;^>

Also, I've found that when playing back MPEG2s using the Elecard
decoder, starting up the first MPEG2 makes the video *very* dark,
then the 2nd and subsequent videos opened at the same time will have
normal color. I found this bug while trying to see the difference
between encoding with 8/9/10 bit DC component precision & changing
some settings under the "quantize matrix" tab... It's too bad - on my
system, it was the most crash-proof encoder I tried. Back to the
drawing board... :-/

Well, I'm off to fix a batch encode; running low on HD space & I have
a bit of catching up to do... Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger