[ExtractStream] network distance

Grant Stockly grant at s...
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:39:01 -0900

>Unless you have one *big* *honkin'* house, or you're spread across
>multiple buildings, you shouldn't have a problem. 10Mbit ethernet is
>good for "up to" 300 feet - *provided* you use standard Cat5
>twisted-pair cabling crimped/wired in the right order.

Over 330 or so feet and you can't certify it as Cat5. I've had 600 ft runs
work without a problem (10B-T). I'm sure if 100B-TX were thrown in things
would change.

You're allowed 4 (I think...) layers in a sub network. As long as the
route between your tivo and computer aren't more than 4 hub hops away, you
can use a hub as a dirt cheap repeater.

Grant