[ExtractStream] network distance

Jim Martin jim at d...
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:53:03 -0800

At 03:57 PM 2/26/2002 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

>100 metres is the limit for CAT-5 cable. 185 metres for 10BaseT thinwire coax.

You're basically right, so forgive me for being a bit pedantic.
The limits are based on the technology plus the cable, so for example,
10BaseT requires at least Cat3 and has an official distance limitation of
100M. 100BaseTx and 1000BaseT both require at least Cat5 and also have
limits of 100M.

Now, if you step away from the standards for a bit, almost
everything works for lengths substantially longer than the specs. I've
personally run 10BaseT over 200M ... you do see some errors, but it
basically works. Hell, we ran 1000BaseT over a short length of barbed wire
for a demonstration once! :-)

- Jim