[ExtractStream] Re: Tivo capability in a PC

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:17:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Super Things <fontpro@u...> wrote:
> I agree,
>
> I think in the near future tivo and other PVRs, will be only on the
> low
> end market. Any serious Video person will us a PC. Why not save
> your
> video natively in SVCD format or DVD format. On a PC why not use a
> Divx
> codec. Just have an option "Save to CD..."

I doubt you'd see the PC hardware be able to support this for quite
some time (at least 2-3 years...) Software DivX playback requires
around a 900Mhz Celeron or so, doesn't it? Anyway, my Dual Athlon
1600+ cannot encode SVCD (at any decent quality) at a 1:1 speed... so
until it's a "toaster" like the TiVo is now, I doubt you'd see anyone
but hardcore geeks (not audio/videophiles) get into it in the near
future...

Most of my non-geek friends ask me now "why don't you just use the
VCR? It's easier..."

> Not to mention the ease of adding harddrives. You will be able soon
> have 1000g drives. Who besides video users would need a drive that
> large.

Anyone running Microsoft XP 2003 Version 2 Home Professional
Junior... ;-)

Happy incr(Year),
Roger "Merch" Merchberger