[ExtractStream] Re: Tivo capability in a PC

steve bryan steve_bryan at m...
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:39:09 -0600

At 4:10 pm -0800 1/3/02, Makhratchev, Konstantin wrote:
>What stopped Microsoft? Copyright/MPEG licensing issues? Possible lawsuits
>from movie companies? Exactly the same reasons might hold chipmakers from
>releasing DivX;-) chips.
>
>I'm quite sure the reasons we don't see DivX;-) chipsets are political, not
>technical.

At risk of moving even further afield I'd like to suggest there might
be another reason that DivX has not conquered the world yet. I
suppose this might be considered a 'political' reason but there is a
huge collective investment in MPEG-2. It is used for all DVD's, all
satellite digital TV (DirecTV, etc), and all HDTV formats. This
involves investments all along the video production food chain. This
gives MPEG-2 an enormous economic advantage over rival compression
standards. Personally I wouldn't consider DivX a useful archiving
format compared to MPEG-2. With properly mastered MPEG-2 material you
have a good chance of playing it on a DVD set top player or an
arbitrary computer with a DVD drive.