So Cool! It Works!

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:33:11 -0800 (PST)

The way that I mentioned in my last post worked like a charm! I've
converted 2 "Showtime" stargates [no commercials] in just over 4
hours of CPU time!

I don't believe the commercials broke *exactly* on-frame - they might
have been 1 or 2 frames off, which is just fine with me - beats the
heck out of the 2 or 3 *seconds* off I was getting before.

[[How do I know? my FF is goofy on my Apex 500W DVD player that I
play my disks on - it just repeats about 1/2 second of video over &
over again... and on the 3X speed, it showed just a faint "blip" of
the MGM lion, which is 1 or 2 frames before where I told TMPGenc to
start encoding. It's not anything that I'd _ever_ notice normally.]]

Having different chapters to go to using Nero's opening menu thing is
pretty cool, too. You can even create thumbnails, and you can choose
which thumbnail you want from a main frame of that portion of the
video clip. It's a little buggy, tho - I don't think the code was
designed to browse thru as many frames as the main body of show had.
I could only browse thru the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the frames.
Shouldn't be a problem with a show that has 4 or 5 segments.

Another good thing about this is for those of you who have to get the
*absolute best* video you can onto an SVCD, knowing the exact # of
frames that you'll be encoding should allow it easier to calculate
the maximum Kbps of video you can fit on 1 disk. Currently, I'm using
2-pass VBR with a max. bitrate of 3450, avg. 2350 & min 300, and it
fills around 75 minutes of an 80-minute CD. Good enough for me, but
for the tweakers out there, it might help.

Anyway, hope that helps, and if I get a chance [doubtful - getting
ready to move] I'll put a webpage up about it.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger