nc causes Tivo to freeze...?

shandrakor shandrakor at y...
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:09:27 -0000

First, the specs: I have the Phillips DVR212, with an added 100gb B
drive. Recording on Best quality. 9th-tee TivoNet card, into a
Netgear RT-314 router, then back out into my Windows 2000 PC.

My original problem was that TivoApp would, after an arbitrary period
of time, just stop sending any data. Most of the time, this was
accompanied by a hard freeze of my Tivo. I've tried a number of
things to get around this. If I use ExtractStream to an NFS mount of
my PC, it doesn't freeze, but the resultant video had small (30
second-1 minute) chunks missing at various points, ending up being
only 55:41 instead of a full 60 minutes long.

I've tried a couple other things, including using sendstream over
netcat. Out of four trys of that, 3 caused the hard freeze of the
Tivo. One of them (I think by luck) managed to transfer the entire
thing, but using splitstream left me with a 1.3 gig .m2v file, and a
1.2 gig badblocks1.ty file.

Given that the freezing only happens when using nc in some form or
another, and that everything appears to still be fine on the PC side
of things after the freeze, I suspect that the problem lies with nc
on the Tivo side.

Any suggestions on why nc might be freezing my Tivo? Suggested
troubleshooting steps or other workarounds?

Oh, and with regard to using sendstream to an NFS mount...would this
be the correct syntax:
./sendstream -s FSIDS > /hack/mnt/showname.ty
Sorry for such a newb question, but I've never used Linux prior to
cracking open my tivo...

TIA,
evilshandie