[ExtractStream] DVD Player recomendations??

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:00:25 -0800 (PST)

--- GREENTREE CASTING <fontpro@u...> wrote:
------ Original poster (lost in the mists of ethernet) wrote:
> >I have recently realized that almost no Sony DVD players play
> SVCDs.
> >Some will play VCDs, but only 1 or 2 models will play SVCDs. I've
> got 2
> >Sony DVD players in my house and neither will play SVCDs. From
> what
> >I've seen in this group (and on many forums), SVCDs are better
> than VCDs
> >and are what most people convert their TiVo shows to. I was
> hoping that
> >I could get some real opinions on what DVD players best support
> SVCDs so
> >that when I go buy a new one, I will get one that will do what I
> want.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Daniel

Sony bad.... I have yet to see one that will play VCDs or SVCDs. They
might exist, but they're a pretty rare puppy. My buddy's Panasonic
5-changer won't, either.

There's a link on http://www.vcdhelp.com/ that rates all of the DVD
players, and what they're capable of playing. HTH.

> I have an Apex 600a that plays vcd and svcd fine. Just a question,
> it can
> take 30 seconds + for the player to recognize that it is a VCD or
> SVCD.
> Is that normal?

Maybe it is for the 600a, but it doesn't seem normal for Apex - I
have the 500w, and it loads SVCD's in 3-4 seconds. $89.99 at
Wal-mart. It's not the bestest of the bunch, but for under a C-note,
it's a lot better bang-for-the-buck than my uncle's Sony [which, of
course, won't play [S]VCDs...]

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger