playitsam

Warren Toomey wkt at t...
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:12:19 +1000 (EST)

In article by David Gerdes:
> I noticed that on the Tivo, it seems to play one too many chunk, thus
> picking up random garbage off the MFS.

Ok, I have not seen that, but I'll investigate it.

> I am running 2.01 and was surprised that the program even worked since you
> developed it for 1.3.
> It does kill off the MyWorld stuff successfully on startup, but the -M
> does nothing on 2.01.

Ah ok, someone needs to do some investigation on how to restart MyWorld
on version 2.x. I can't, as I only have 1.3.

http://hackaway.topcities.com/files/tyc.tgz

> I am looking for a quick way to VCD or SVCD. With hacking the Tivo bitrate
> to fit the SVCD standard, Playitsam to edit out commercials and then
> if I can hack it to send the edited multiplexed mmpeg2 to linux, I should
> just be able to quickly and easily write out a fully synced, mostly complient
> SVCD very quickly.

No, read my warning at the bottom of the README.html. Cutting out chunks
badly breaks the MPEG-2 stream. The TiVo can recover from this, but
external tools and editors cannot cope with the broken stream. It makes
more sense to export the whole stream intact, convert to MPEG-2 and
do the editing with a real MPEG-2 tool.

Playitsam is really not for extraction, but for playback on the TiVo only.

Cheers!
Warren