Question about mfs_extract

logictrap griffon+yahooq at s...
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:28:18 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "shandrakor" <shandrakor@y...> wrote:
> I'm running win2k I'm afraid. Currently running it to an NFS mount,
> but I get about a quarter of the speed that nc was providing.
> Unfortunately, ExtractStream and sendstream don't work for me. They
> produce really garbagy outputs...
A couple of things: first, if your NFS server supports it, try
mounting with 8KB transfers rather than the default:
mount -o wsize=8192,rsize=8192 10.0.0.1:/foo /mnt
This raises my transfer rates running Linux<->Tivo from under
400KB/sec to about 800KB/sec

Otherwise you could probably get mfs_extract to write to a pipe,
something like this (untested):
mkfifo mfsfifo
nc -whatever < mfsfifo &
mfs_extract 100001 mfsfifo
This should cause mfs_extract to write bytes to the pipe 'mfsfifo'
that you created with mkfifo, and nc should then be able to read them.