[ExtractStream] Changing TY File size

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:56:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Brett Wells <lists@t...> wrote:
> Hmmm, I guess I need to be more precise. First off, changing any of
> that
> stuff as best I can tell will not change the individual size of
> each ty, it
> will just make more individual ty files. Second, more or less what
> I'm
> asking here is is there a way to have a show that is recorded at
> high
> quality, which in a one hour show is 4 ty files of about 1.6 gigs
> be
> recorded natively on the tivo in just one ty file of 1.6 gigs.

There's one way that I know would probably work, but you would have
needed to make a non-mfs_tools backup of your _virgin_ Tivo: restore
the backup you made. Granted, this creates a host of other problems,
but hey, it'll fix your problem, for a while anyway... ;-)

Seriously, it sounds like what you want is an MFS-based defragmenter.
To my knowledge, one doesn't exist, and I don't know enough about MFS
to even know if one is possible.

I do know that I had a few 1.6Gig shows under a single tystream ID
when my Tivo was new, so it has something to do with how the Tivo
allocates MFS space which was previously cleared of a recording.

My best advice: Cut & paste, my friend... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger