Dealing with TiVo video under Linux

mikertx mike at i...
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:44:44 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "logictrap" <griffon+yahooq@s...> wrote:
> I've been attempting to find tools under Linux which
> one can use to manipulate video from the TiVo and
> have met with some varying success. I figured I'd write
> up a guide to my experiences (as much to keep things
> straight in my own head as anything) in case other
> people would find them useful. This is very much a
> work in progress, and I appreciate any suggestions
> or hints that people have.
> http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/tivo_linux_extract.html

This came just in time to save me countless hours. I've
been ferreting out this information and had come to many
of the same conclusions as you. I would add that an
even simpler way to use mfs_export and avoid the whole
NFS performance issue is to run tridge's vserver on
the TiVo and build mfs_export for linux. Then you can
set MFS_DEVLIST to point to the tivo's IP and use
mfs_export directly from the linux box. Should be called
mfs_import when used this way I suppose. I was not
able to get mfs_streams to work, however, but with your
ui.itcl it's not really necessary.

Thanks for the doc.