[ExtractStream] inverse tyc anyone?

Warren Toomey wkt at t...
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:38:51 +1000 (EST)

In article by mikertx:
> Now that I have Warren's "playitsam" program working
> I can play tystreams directly from my file server onto
> my TiVo. So, I'm thinking it would be nice to be able
> to take home movies from my digital camcorder and
> play them back on my TiVo. (Sort of a online home video
> library). This means transcoding to the appropriate
> MPEG-2 audio and video sizes and bitrates and then
> doing the opposite of what tyc does. Has anybody
> looked at this yet?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Reid

It shouldn't be too hard, assuming that the MPEG-2 stream from the
camcorder is of the same format as the TiVo can take:
- same MP2 audio bitrate & sampling rate
- same MPEG-2 video frame dimensions, frame rate.

You'd have to use a tool to split the MPEG-2 stream into separate
audio and video streams. From there, it would be pretty simple to
build a tystream. You would have to read portions of each vid &
audio stream, then spit out something like this every 128K chunk:

# records: 2, followed by 3 junk bytes
Record 1: type audio, size= size of audio data
Record 2: type video, size= size of video data
the audio data
the video data
any padding to make up 128K

I could probably knock up the latter tool, but only if you can show me
that you do have the right audio & video stream formats for the TiVo :)

Warren