merging .ty files

J. Scott Dorr merlin at f...
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:57:44 -0800

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible.

I'm having a heck of a time extracting shows directly to my win2k box: nc is
WAAAY slow (I was getting about 42k/sec). I booted my win2k box into SuSE
linux (one of three os's on the box) and got similar speeds running nc to nc.
Didn't matter if the extraction tool was extractstream, sendstream, or
mfs_export. So, I tried the nfs route. I got the bandwidth up to
300-350k/sec (and yes, I mounted with the '-o rsize=8192,wsize8192' options).
Ok, so running nfs to my linux OS seems the way to go.

But.

Doing NFS, I can't use sendstream/extractstream since the tivo OS can't deal
with files >2GB in size, and they produce a single .ty file. So, I use
mfs_extract. This is all fine and good, but I end up with a gaggle of .ty
files for large shows.

It seems the conversion/editing/remuxing tools are better in the windows world
right now, so I'd like to bring those .ty files over to my windows partition.
Easier said than done. Due to reasons that might best be left to another
post, it's not practical to cat all the .ty files into one big one and bring
that over to the ntfs partition. So, I'm looking at bringing over all the .ty
files.

Is there an easier way for me to do all this? And if not, what's the best way
to merge the multiple .ty files into one big one that tools like 'splitstream'
can use?

Thanks for the help. :)

- scott