[ExtractStream] samba

Rob yahoo at i...
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:29:49 +0100

At 17:00 25/08/02 -0700, Russ Parsons wrote:

>OK I give up
>I have downloaded, CHMOD ed to executable the smbfs-2.0.1.o and smbmount
>files.
>I load the smbfs-2.0.1.o file (insmod f smbfs-2.0.1.o) and it seems to
>load OK (with the wrong version warning of course.)

all pretty good

>Then-- I run the smbmount command:
>./smbmount //Htpc/tivo /var/hack/movies I 192.168.1.15 n

Hmm. compare this with the post you quote

>smbmount //pc/CDRIVE /mnt/windows/ -I 192.168.1.2 -P password

are you putting the - in before the I and N or is it looking missing just a
typo?

>My windows box (at 192.168.1.15) is called Htpc and the share name is
>tivo. I have no password on the share (hence the -n option.) and I get
>this error:
>
>mount error: Invalid argument
>
>Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons
>
>bash-2.02#
>

>I have tried all possibilities as far as case goes in the //Htpc/tivo
>source but always the same error.
>

>When I ping from the Tivo to 192.168.1.15 it responds fine. When I try to
>ping to the server name //Htpc, if fails to resolve the name. I think my
>whole smbmount problem is the name resolution for /Htpc. I have tried to
>add Htpc to the hosts file on the Tivo but it still will not ping
>/Htpc. MAYBE, I am entering the Htpc to the hosts file
>incorrectly-- what is the correct syntax for this?

The TiVo certainly doesn't manage DNS resolution; I'm under the
understanding that any sort of name resolution doesn't work (including
hosts file) hence the reason for specifying the IP addresses.