[ExtractStream] Re: 4GB Limit

Michael Loftis mloftis at w...
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:48:06 -0700

Depends on how it's implemented below are the relevant sections,
unsigned i s a 32=bit unsigned integer.

RFC 1094... (AKA NFS v1.0)

2.2.9. Write to File

struct writeargs {
fhandle file;
unsigned beginoffset;
unsigned offset;
unsigned totalcount;
nfsdata data;
};

attrstat
NFSPROC_WRITE(writeargs) = 8;

Writes "data" beginning "offset" bytes from the beginning of "file".
The first byte of the file is at offset zero. If the reply "status"
is NFS_OK, then the reply "attributes" contains the attributes of the
file after the write has completed. The write operation is atomic.
Data from this "WRITE" will not be mixed with data from another
client's "WRITE".

Notes: The arguments "beginoffset" and "totalcount" are ignored and
are removed in the next protocol revision.

RFC 1813 ... (NFS v3.0)

3.3.7 Procedure 7: WRITE - Write to file

SYNOPSIS

WRITE3res NFSPROC3_WRITE(WRITE3args) = 7;

enum stable_how {
UNSTABLE = 0,
DATA_SYNC = 1,
FILE_SYNC = 2
};

struct WRITE3args {
nfs_fh3 file;
offset3 offset;
count3 count;
stable_how stable;
opaque data<>;
};

struct WRITE3resok {
wcc_data file_wcc;
count3 count;
stable_how committed;
writeverf3 verf;
};

struct WRITE3resfail {
wcc_data file_wcc;
};

union WRITE3res switch (nfsstat3 status) {
case NFS3_OK:
WRITE3resok resok;
default:
WRITE3resfail resfail;
};

Much longer explanation but the offset3 is defined as

offset3
typedef uint64 offset3;

..
There's also NFS v4 defined in RFC 3010

Most servers still only implement NFS v1.0 though, and Linux has a
horribly broken v3.0 implementation. I don't know if or when they'll
fix it.