Saving video to DVD... Best Software?

John Douglass douglass at n...
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:11:23 -0500

On 25 Jun 2002 04:09:00 -0000, "wjbode" wrote:

> Hello all! I just acquired a Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-R drive, and I
>would like to know if anyone else on this list is making DVD's from
>extracted Tivo shows. If so, what software are you using? My drive
>came with CyberLink Power Director Pro (just the install CD, no
>manual), and I can't seem to find a decent guide on how to use it.

Hey, Wyatt!

Sounds like the combination drive/software I got.

For a comparison of PowerDirector and Ulead DVD MovieFactory, see
<http://tivo.30below.com/jdouglass/>. Basicaly, I don't use either to
create a commercial-free MPEG file, because they both accept an MPEG
file and thus movie about the file is a very slow process. Far faster
to extract a show via Josh's TyTool as an M2V video and a M2A audio
file, feed the M2V to DVD2AVI, "Save Project" creating a D2V file, and
feed TMPGEnc the D2V and M2A file. Thus using DVD2AVI to "frameserve"
the video speeds-up TMPGEnc considerably.

I would use PowerDirector or Moviefactory to create the VOB files and
menus, and burn to DVD. Of the two, I very much prefer MovieFactory
to PowerDirector, enough to poney-up the additional $49.

HTH, and I'll try to forgive you for paying less than I for the
burner (the price has dropped considerably the last couple of months).

John
--
An employer once said, -What if I train my people and they leave? -
I say, what if you don't train them - and they STAY?