[ExtractStream] TyConvert hates my +2G files and neat thing in DVD2AVI

Josh Harding theamigo42 at y...
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:11:31 -0800 (PST)

--- Grant Stockly <grant@s...> wrote:

> I want to split the files in as big of chunks as possible since at a
> chunk
> transition fast moving objects loose sync for a fraction of a second.
> If
> you name 6 m2v and m2a files with the same suffix (ie. file1.m2v
> file2.m2v
> file 3.m2v) DVD2AVI will treat them as one large m2v file. Sync is
> lost at
> each transition. : (

If it loses sync at each break, then it apparently doesn't quite treat
them as one split file :( would have been a good alternative.

> Is there an issue with tyconvert and 2.6GB files? Or is it my messed
> up
> WinME (I wish I had a decent box to run NetBSD on...)? I plan to get
> win
> 2k installed tomorow to fix other problems, such as turning the
> computer
> off. : )

If you already have a 2.6G file and see it as that size in the
directory, then your OS isn't the problem. Most applications don't use
anything larger than 32bit longs for file offsets so they can't read
past 2G of a file.

The best option would be recompiling the application. Another thing
you could try is having tyconvert read from a fifo on a samba share off
a linux box. Then just cat the file to the fifo and it should start.
But I'd guess that the reason it fails on a >2G file is because it
seeks within the file which would make it fail if you try to have it
read from a pipe.

I'd guess that you're gonna have to wait for a version of tyconvert
that's compiled with support for >2G files.

=====
--The Amigo