[ExtractStream] Is e2fsck safe

Kyle Davenport kdd at o...
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 14:10:15 -0600

stacker1001 wrote:

> After adding tivoftpd and httpd-tt.tcl to my rc.sysinit file my Tivo
> has ceased booting. I've remounted the A disk in my PC and have
> mounted the hdd4 partition and the rc.sysinit file seems to be
> corrupt. Unfortunately it will not let me remove it (I made a
> backup copy of the file beforehand) It keeps giving me a File
> Input/Output error when I try to do anything to the file (cp, mv,
> rm, cat) The file rc.sysinit also only appears when I do a "ls" but
> when I do a "ls -al" its not there. Please help me.

Well, oc, always test stuff from the command line before doing
rc.sysinit...
That happened to me - I had about 10 seconds to fix the file from a
serial console before it would reboot itself. Took a few times, but I
got it.

You're looking at the directory inode table with "ls", but the file is
actually not there (ls -al)
e2fsck would be your best bet, altho you could directly edit the table
with other e2fstools. (dangerous!) If you have copies of the files in
/etc/rc.d, you might try deleting the whole directory and recreating it.