[ExtractStream] solution for no netcat not available

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:56:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Josh Harding <theamigo42@y...> wrote:
> --- Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:
> > So, this _should_ work if you're using extractstream/sendstream:
> >
> > cd /var
> > mkfifo ty1
> >
> > sendstream -s xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx | cat ty1

> Almost. Your cat command there will ignore data coming in from the
> pipe because you gave it a file name. You could change it to cat >
> ty1, but then why use cat at all, easier to just use:
>
> sendstream -s xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx > ty1

Ah... okay, [I'm prolly not gunna put this quite right, but bear with
me...] so a fifo is more like a 'standard stream' like STDIN, STDOUT,
STDERR but linked to the filesystem instead of a filename linked to a
'standard stream' ...

... and cat can't be used to 'write to the file' as it would prolly
overwrite the fifo - but can be used when redirecting
stdin/stdout/stderr only.

I _think_ I see... but correct me if I'm wrong.

[[ P.S. ISTR seeing about 1/2 decade ago, a webpage that made fun of
people who used 'cat' in extraneous to downright stupid ways - it was
called something like "stupid 'cat' tricks" or somesuch... I guess I
just earned an honorable mention on that page... ;-) ]]

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger