[ExtractStream] Experiences with Sony2000 SA and WinME

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:52:08 -0800 (PST)

--- zathrasinspace <douglass@a...> wrote:
> Hi!

Howdoo!

[snippage]

> So, I did. Ran the concatenated tystream through tyconvert. It
> died
> where the second mpg would have started with:
>
> Access violation at address 00402c9c in module 'TYCONVERT.EXE'.
> Read
> of address 00581234

"Access Violation" is [usually] when a C pointer goes outside of it's
own program space, and the program is shut down. This is usually a
bug in the program - where something "undefined" happens, and the
program doesn't know how to handle it.

*Prolly* something in the Sony Tivo stream is different from the
norm, and the program can't handle it & barfs...

> Request: Please fix any of these tools to cope with the offending
> bit
> of data. Oh, and while I'm at it, how about world peace, too. I'd
> do
> it myself, but I'm in the middle of watching tv.

We would need much more info than that to start fixing the tools...
but I'm trying to make it easier to log that information in zss - my
(so far slightly) modified version of splitstream that can be found
at my tivo page:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

> Seriously, if anyone has already come across this and hacked any
> one
> of the tools to cope, SHARE, please. Else I'll start looking at
> them
> this Sunday. Recommendations on which tool people most want fixed?
>
> And that I can least difficultly compile? And, any idea why
> Cygwin's
> "setup.exe" spent a long time downloading stuff but never installed
> Cygwin?

There's three setup options when you download cygwin, one of which is
"download to directory" and another is "install to directory" - The
third is "install from local directory".

You may have "downloaded to directory" instead of "installed to
directory" - if that's the case, you should re-run the setup.exe and
choose the "install from local directory" ... after finding the
directory that you downloaded it to...

Oh, and Cygwin isn't a program per-se... it's a ".dll" or dynamic
linked library which allows you to compile *nix c/c++ source code
into executibles of their own. Provided c:\cygwin\bin [or wherever it
was put] is in your path, open up a command prompt, and type "bash"
or "grep" - if you don't see "program not found" then cygwin *is*
installed on your machine.
HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger