[ExtractStream] Perfect ty streams!

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:19:29 -0800 (PST)

--- Grant Stockly <grant@s...> wrote:

[sippage]

> Btw, whats the proper way to shutdown a tivo? Pull the plug? It
> is a
> linux device...but I guess its also intended as a consumer device.
> usually go to setup and choose restart and then pull the plug
> before it can
> get going again...or just use the restart command from a shell.

Not sure what OS your Tivo has, but with [I think] 2.0 & I know with
2.5 that there's a 'standby' option, which seems to turn off
"myworld" and a few other things... I don't think there's any logging
or anything, at least until it 'wakes up' to record a show...

I usually 'standby' my Tivo, make *sure* it's done it's thing, then
pull the plug. Dunno if it's the 'right' thing to do, but I've never
had a problem... and it seems "cleaner" than just yanking for the
halibut.

I also only do it when I know that the updates aren't going to
happen...

The 'reboot than yank when the boot starts' shouldn't hurt anything
-- unless the Tivo actually boots with / read-write at first, then
remounts read-only later on... but I don't think it does that. I'm
pretty sure it's read-only thru the entire boot process, so that's
another (possibly better than mine) way to shutdown as cleanly as
possible.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger