[ExtractStream] what is better Tivo 2.5 or Tivo 1.3????

Michael Loftis mloftis at w...
Sat, 11 May 2002 06:21:41 -0700

Rob wrote:

>At 10:16 10/05/02 -0700, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>
>>--- kriscomach <biskupiec@h...> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone tell me is it easyer to extract video from 1.3 or 2.5
>>>with tivoftpd. also when you go to the directory that has your film
>>>what is the file name that I should be looking at? Please help.
>>>
>>As far as video extraction differences between versions, I haven't
>>seen any difference between 1.3, 2.0 & 2.5 - provided you turn off
>>the VBR encoding ("Save Space feature") in 2.5.
>>

>Hmm. I'm on 2.5.5 (Uk - pretty much same as 3.0).. VBR is on, and always
>has been. Maybe that's why I have so much trouble, but it's only with
>*some* steams, not even a majority of them, that just go totally ga ga.
>

>>Most people use either netcat (the 'nc' program as outlined on my
>>extraction page) or mount a drive on a different Linux/Unix box over
>>NFS. (Very few people that I know of have had any luck with the Samba
>>network drive mounting over Winders).
>>

>I have a unix (FreeBSD) box sharing the same drive(s) out on NFS and samba,
>so the tivo, unix and windoze boxes can all see the same directories. Best
>of all worlds..
>
>Maybe I should investigate NFS for win, though, coz samba gets a tad
>sluggish for the general file-server use it's being put to.

There is an NFS Server for windows that's free that works quite well,
provided you don't want executables and a few other things. As far as
an NFS client I don't know of any offhand. http://www.jgaa.com/ take a
look at the WarNFSd. I use it to export streams off my tivo onto my
windows box, works really well.