Trying to compress with divx4

oddmanout67 rchandler67 at h...
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:02:00 -0000

I've been trying everything I can to get shows from my TiVo archived
in divx4. I have used Gordian Knot/Nandub with reasonable success on
other kinds of video, but can't seem to get good sound sync with that.

This morning, I tried the steps that were posted recently by jdiner
(mfs_streams -> vsplit11b -> dvd2avi -> vfapi -> virtualdub).
I've never really used VirtualDub by itself, but I think I've nearly
got it.

I'm not sure I'm doing it exactly right... I've set the compression
to Divx4, 2 pass. I set up the first pass, do a "Save as AVI", and
defer the processing. I do the same thing for the second pass, call
up the job list and start processing.

The first pass was running when I left for work this morning. I
noticed that: (1) I thought that usually the first pass gathered
stats and produced a file only several megs long, which was used for
the second pass. It's creating a .avi file that going to be over a
gig (I'm going for 2 disks, since the show is 2:45) and (2)The first
pass looks like it's going to take twice as long as I would have
expected. I have no idea what I'm going to end up with.

Since I needed to enter a filename for each pass, I entered different
names (movie1.avi and movie2.avi). Does that sound right?

Can anybody help me with might I'm doing wrong (if I am doing
something wrong)?

Thanks!