[Extractstream [mailman]] Tivo to Divx

Wolf wolf at test-x.net
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:11:57 -0400

I haven't heard anything from this group in a while with regard to
saving to divx so I thought I would bring up the subject again.

My DVD player doesn't play VCD's or SVCD's so the only other popular
format is divx for archiving my shows.  Between school and work, I don't
have a lot of time on my hands, but I have a lot of shows that I would
like to extract and encode to archive.  With the Fall season coming up,
I want to clean off my Tivo and get ready for the new season.

I would like to be able to convert to divx in as few steps as possible.
Currently, I use TivoApp to extract off the Tivo to my Windows XP PC.  I
have used FlaskMPEG to archive my DVD's, so I figured I'd use it on the
MPG file that I get from TivoApp.  The MPG file plays just fine in my
DVD software, but when I encode to Divx, the audio drops out for a split
second every few seconds.  For a while, it's tolerable, but after a few
minutes, it gets down right annoying.  As I said, the MPG plays fine, so
I think it's something in the encoding.  I've also tried to open the MPG
in nandub to use it to encode to divx, but nandub won't even open the
MPG file (MPEG Import Filter: pack synchronization error), so I don't
know what else to try.  I went back through the emails to this group and
some from almost six months ago in which a couple people described their
methods.  The ones I remember included extracting the ty file from the
tivo, splitting it, run the m2v file through DVD2AVI, then through
VFAPIConv then to VirtualDub and using WinAmp to get the m2a file to a
wav file to load into VirtualDub, then using VirtualDub for the
compression to divx.  I'm not sure of how long each of those steps would
take, but I'm kinda looking for some kind of process that I can start on
a couple ty or mpg files and then come back to a couple hours later and
everything be done.

Has anybody come up with any updated procedures on converting to Divx
that might help me out (or maybe just some tools to cut out a few of the
steps from previous procedures)?

Thanks
Daniel