[SA-exim] Large messages

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:18:06 -0700

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:21:56AM +0800, Peter N Lewis wrote:
> If a large message comes it, SA-exim truncates it to 250k so that
> spamc will process it.  The problem with his is that if the message
> contains a large MIME attachment, then the MIME_MISSING_BOUNDARY (3.9
> -- RAW: MIME section missing boundary) test will be activated, and
> since it is weighted at 3.9 the message will likely be flagged as
> spam even though it probably is not.
>
> Any suggestions on how to handle this?

I didn't think of that, it's a good point.

> I can think of a few, but the only really good solution is for
> spamassassin to realize that the message has been truncated and not
> apply the MIME_MISSING_BOUNDARY check, and I'm not sure how to
> accomplish that.

It's not easy, sa-exim would have to tell spamc, which would have to tell
spamd.

> I could disable spam checking for large messages (I think if I just
> increase the samaxbody in sa_exim.c without any other changes, spamc
> will return the message unprocessed).  Spam seems to hardly ever be
> large anyway, and since I deliver the message regardless, it probably
> wouldn't be much of an issue.

It's an oversight in my code.
I should  document the fact  that you may  want to run  spamc with -s  and a
slightly smaller value than you have in samaxbody. That way, spamc would not
parse messages that were truncated.