[SA-exim] exim processes stuck using the CPU -> v1.3 released

dman dman at dman.ddts.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:06:19 -0500

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:12:40AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
| On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:01:56PM -0500, dman wrote:
| > I've got exim 4.04 with Marc Merlin's local_scan() function (v 1.1).
|=20
| Note that you will have problems (very occasionally) with anything less t=
han
| version 1.2.1, since it doesn't parse multiline headers correctly when th=
ey
| come from SA (I wasn't expecting any, but the SA code has apparently been
| changed to generate some now)

Yeah, I just hadn't made any changes to my system yet.
=20
| > The system is Linux 2.4.18 and is using an IDE disk with ext3
| > filesystem.  Tonight I found 5 exim processes each consuming as much
| > CPU time as possible.  Connecting to each one with gdb showed the
| > following backtrace :
| >=20
| > #0  0x40271c9c in _IO_un_link () from /lib/libc.so.6
| > #1  0x402680cf in fclose () from /lib/libc.so.6
|=20
| Mmmh, so there is a problem while removing messages on disk. How weird.

Yeah, that's what makes me think it might be a libc problem.  The
processes use as much CPU as the scheduler will give them.
(fortunately the scheduler is rather decent so the system stayed alive
:-))
=20
| > The 5 running processes each have a different file open in the
| > SAdevnull directory.  Each of those files are for the exact same
| > (stock quote) spam messaged from an excite.com address.
| =20
| Mmmh, they shouldn't. Once the spam is written on disk, the FH should be
| closed.
| Ah, yeah, I didn't close the file myself in the code (small oversight), it
| only got closed when the process exited.
| It  shouldn't be  fatal, but  it's not  great either,  and might  somehow=
 be
| causing the problem you see.
| =20
| This is something that should be fixed though, so I've just released v1.3
| http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html

I just upgraded.  We'll see if the problem comes back.  I should see
the message again because I think exim doesn't give back the 250
response (I got 4 more copies this morning before I got up).

-D

--=20

Emacs is a nice operating system, it lacks a decent editor though
=20

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available