[SA-exim] sa-exim and fetchmail

Richard Bergmair rbergmair at acm.org
Sat Apr 26 16:40:02 PDT 2003

Hi!

I've just set up my new mail-environment using exim 4.14, SpamAssassin-2.53
and sa-exim 2.2.

I receive both mail sent directly to my MTA, and mail sent to my provider's
mail-account. I use fetchmail 5.6.5 in deamon-mode to poll my provider's
POP3-server for new mail, and now I want to get rid of spam sent directly
to my MTA, as well as spam lying around in my providers mailbox.

Filtering seems to work perfectly. I don't *receive* any more spam that
spamassassin can identify as such, but it's not deleted from the
POP3-account.

I assume that this is due to fetchmail: Fetchmail gets all mail from the
POP3-account and opens an SMTP-connection to the localhost, simply forwarding
mail to exim. Before exim gets to see it sa-exim runs spamassassin to check,
whether it's spam, and rejects it. (I've set "SAEximRunCond: 1" in
spamassassin.conf, since the normal check for local deliveries would prevent
SpamAssassin to be run on mail coming from fetchmail) That's why fetchmail
can't deliver that mail, so it doesn't delete it from the mailbox.

In fetchmail(1) I read, that fetchmail deletes mail only if the delivery was
either successful, or it receives one of the error-codes
[571, 550, 501, 554] which usually indicate that mail was rejected due to
spam-checking. Doesn't sa-exim send one of these error-codes, or what could
be the reason, that spam remains in the mailbox, after running fetchmail on a
spammed mailbox?

Thanks a lot!

Richard