[SA-exim] FEATURE REQUEST - Line continuations in sa-exim.conf

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue Aug 19 23:46:12 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:39:47AM +0300, ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Would it be too much work for you if you were to adjust the parser
> to allow for line continuations in sa-exim.conf? If not, then please
> place this on your TODO list. I believe it will make the file look
> more readable.

I'm sorry but this is not something I'm planning to do.

> Right now every config option (expecially the ones that take expansion
> conditions) demand that everything be on one single line.

Yep.

I'll be honest: I'm a sysadmin and I work with high level languages every
day. Having to write the gory details of a correct parser in C is not
something I want to do, especially because it's so low level and it has
been done so many times already, so I'd have to waste my time to write my
own or adapt a current parser, and it would probably add 100 lines of code
or more (if it's not several hundred lines)

Really, what I should have done is used the exim parser and put the sa-exim
options in exim.conf itself, unfortunately, you couldn't do that when I
started sa-exim, and I'd break everyone's install if I did that.

I think I would still take a patch to make sa-exim optionally read its
options from exim.conf, but I have too little time and interest to do this
myself. Sorry :-)